tip of the week

tip of the week
Too much salt in your soup? Drop in a peeled raw potato!

dinnertime is ...

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Friendly's: chapter one

The first restaurant to ever call me waiter was Friendly's (although at the time it was still Friendly Family Restaurant; they bowed to public pressure and added the "apostrophe S" about 20 years ago ... maybe 20 years from now they'll add an exclamation point!) I was given a navy and white houndstooth short-sleeved pullover in the scratchiest polyester possible and a "trainee" nametag which suggested patience to customers. None was required. Within weeks I had "achieved customer excellence" and the letters A and C and E proudly appeared above the letters j and a and y on my gold nametag. Within months I was training the new girls (it really was all girls at the time, except for me; I saw to it that memos and notes addressed to "waitresses" were changed to the gender-neutral title "servers" and I take credit for my small part in the ensuing evolution) Within a year I was asked to be a part of the Managers Training Program but I turned it down without any hesitation. I didn't want to be responsible for employee schedules and corporate paperwork, for hiring and firing, for long hours and locking the door. I just wanted my section, my tables, my guests, my audience ... and my cash!

4 comments:

"Water with lemon is good for your health ... "

"but it does nothing for your mood!" ~ your waiter

"Plain white tee shirts and tank tops are undergarments, gentlemen!" says jay

"Plain white tee shirts and tank tops are undergarments, gentlemen!" says jay
and if it doesn't cover your nipples, it's technically not a shirt at all

please silence your cell phones

thank you