tip of the week

tip of the week
Too much salt in your soup? Drop in a peeled raw potato!

dinnertime is ...

Friday, October 2, 2009

nickel & dime

See a penny, pick it up? I don't know ... they always look a little dirty to me. I mean, if it's on the booth I might grab it, but if it made it to the floor I leave it to be swept. But nickels and dimes are different somehow; because they're shiny, I guess, they look cleaner. So I usually pick them up. (Don't tell anyone this out of context, but I'll bend at the waist for a quarter!) Found coins are dropped in my tip pocket and come in handy for making change. Sometimes I even find currency. One night last year I found a fifty dollar bill crumpled up under 14, but I knew whose it was (a regular customer that's notorious for pulling out crumpled bills had just dined at that table) so I felt obliged to return it. But of course nickels and dimes are fair game.
One night last week I saw some garbage on the floor near 36, but my arms were full of 32's dirty dishes, and then there were buspans to carry and, oh yea ... who needed water? When I got around to it, I bussed the table and cleaned underneath, and for my efforts I found  (along with a napkin and some breadcrust) one shiny dime ... and some tiny little Zip-loc bag? Hmm. What's this? A dime AND a nickel? Fair game.

4 comments:

  1. OK..it never occurred to me that we are SO getting scrutinized tonight as customers...i am SO nervous now....

    ReplyDelete
  2. hold on here.....like the penny you wouldn't pick up off the floor had never been on the floor before that? stoop down and pick it up....it's dirty already, guaranteed.

    ReplyDelete

"Water with lemon is good for your health ... "

"but it does nothing for your mood!" ~ your waiter

"Plain white tee shirts and tank tops are undergarments, gentlemen!" says jay

"Plain white tee shirts and tank tops are undergarments, gentlemen!" says jay
and if it doesn't cover your nipples, it's technically not a shirt at all

please silence your cell phones

thank you