tip of the week

tip of the week
Too much salt in your soup? Drop in a peeled raw potato!

dinnertime is ...

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Oh, waiter ... ?

Donna asks:

"Jay, Unless service is marginal at best, I always leave at least a 20% tip. For places with the Benihana idea (large grill, chefs cooking in front of you with some "showmanship") are tips to be separated?  I went to a local place last year and put my 20% tip down, but then wondered if the waitress who took the bill (and only served us a couple iced teas) gave the majority of the tip to the chefs who performed for us and prepared our meal. Should I have tipped the waitresses their due and then separately tipped the chefs?"

your waiter says:

" Restaurants usually have clear-cut tip-sharing policies, Donna, so you needn't worry about stiffing anyone. Waiters routinely tip bartenders and busboys and runners, and at Benihana style restaurants, they tip the cooks.  And don't forget that the cooks are paid at least $7.25/hour, while the waitstaff may be paid as little as $2.13/hour in direct wages! Any time you are dining and you feel that someone has gone out of their way to improve your experience and you want to show your appreciation, an additional tip directly to that person is always appreciated. But don't take it away from the waiter; someone else already is.  "


thanks for asking,  jay 

3 comments:

  1. Would this be the appropriate place to tell you that I remember well the days of my parents decided IF the waitress should receive a tip or not -- and, if so, how much....maybe a quarter, or fifty cents. But, then again, I'm MUCH older than you......you probably don't remember such days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to remember everything, but now everything is so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whenever I meet my parents at their favorite diner for lunch, I can almost feel the beam of sunshine from their waitress. They know that I will pick up the check AND tip them decently and *not* the $1 my parents always tip (shudder).

    ReplyDelete

"Water with lemon is good for your health ... "

"but it does nothing for your mood!" ~ your waiter

"Plain white tee shirts and tank tops are undergarments, gentlemen!" says jay

"Plain white tee shirts and tank tops are undergarments, gentlemen!" says jay
and if it doesn't cover your nipples, it's technically not a shirt at all

please silence your cell phones

thank you